The Maple Syrup Secret
Forger of Reorx
AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 hp 42 (5 HD); DR 3/— Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +8
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares) Melee +1 warhammer (Irda’s Bane) +7 (1d8+4/19–20) Ranged Light crossbow +4 (1d8) Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft. Base Atk +3; Grp +6 •Atk Options* Power Attack, Divine Vengeance Special Actions turn undead, spells
Abilities Str 16, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 15 Feats Extra Turning, Divine Vengeance, Power Attack Skills Appraise +2, Craft(Weaponsmithing) +16, Heal +6, Knowledge(Arcana) +4, Knowledge(Religion) +4, Listen +4, Spellcraft +1, Spot +4 Possessions +1 warhammer (Irda’s Bane), +1 restful full plate, +1 steel heavy shield, some other things.
“Awake the irons.”
Donovan is the son of Gregor Roth, an accomplished blacksmith in Crossing. His mother Chandara, originally from Solace, dealt with the shop’s business side, but was physically frail and died when Donovan was still young. Without her expertise and support, Gregor’s business went downhill and he became withdrawn, turning all his attention to the forge. This forced Donovan to learn to take care of himself and his younger sister Alatia. Seeking approval, Donovan began to learn his father’s craft by watching him, but success eluded him. When Alatia was old enough to take care of herself, he left home to seek training.
Among the Dwarves
Donovan lived for a time among the Neidar of Hillhome, a town on the outskirts of Thorbardin. He was taken in by a kindly old blacksmith named Eoldwin who taught by example. The old Dwarf was very religious, and as Donovan learned more about the Dwarven ways, he was moved. He first prayed to Reorx in that village.
Shortly after dedicating himself to the World Smith, he travelled into the mountains and became an acolyte at the Temple of Reorx in Norbardin. Life among the Mountain Dwarves was often difficult. He was treated as an outside and his motivations were constantly doubted and tested. Nevertheless he preservered, and even managed to gain a few friends among the Dwarves. After two years of toil, Donovan was allowed entrance into the Great Forge, where he pledged himself to the Tamer of Chaos and was given the gift of his divine magic. He also received a Dwarven name, Daegvor Ironsoul.
Donovan, now 21, has begun to travel throughout Krynn, seeking out legendary weapons and the work of smiths from all walks of life in order to learn and perfect his craft for the glory of Reorx. His trials among the Dwarves have left him somewhat distant and serious, but also strong, both in body and spirit. His is a philosophy of reciprocity, tit-for-tat—crucially, he does not follow the Golden Rule; he cares deeply for his friends and family, but will not intervene in the affairs of strangers unless it benefits him.
- In the field he wears heavy armor under his red vestments with a slate gray tabard emblazoned with the symbol of Reorx. In town or when working, he wears an apron and red trousers. Either way, he is always somewhat grimy with soot.
- He hefts the warhammer Irda’s Bane, but plans to forge a more personal one. He recently acquired full plate and is very happy about this.
- He bears several scars from accidents early in his training. These include marks on his forearms (hidden by his armor) and a noticeable white line on his jaw.
- He has an aversion to cold weather.
- He is fiercely protective of his sister Alatia, now 17 and beautiful. She is much like their mother, direct and intelligent, and possessing a fragile grace. When he last saw her, she had recently discovered an aptitude for arcane magic.
- Like most Forgers, Donovan prefers to pray in the evening. He has not yet acquired a working portable forge, so he prays over a tiny ceremonial one.
- He carries a few keepsakes from his past, including a small flower encased in amber from his sister, and a chip from Eoldwin’s hammer.